1. Replace your furnace filter.
You don't want you and your family to be breathing old dust and other bad stuff throughout the Winter. It will also make your furnace more efficient. Also have your heating system serviced by a professional, to make sure it's operating efficiently!
2. Replace the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, to make sure they are actively working & safe.
3. Consider having a fire extinguisher available in your kitchen. There are many fires during Winter
4. Want to save 20% on utility bills AND stay warm? Put weather stripping on outside doors, and caulk all windows and frames to cut down on drafts.
5. Roof check: Make sure your roof is in good shape by looking for any missing or loose shingles - you don't want a leak from ice and snow!
6. Blow out your sprinklers, and drain garden hoses and store them inside. Also shut off outdoor water valves in cold weather. Any water left in exterior pipes and faucets can freeze and expand breaking the pipes.
7. Porches & decks: Check the supports, stairs, and railings. Make sure the handrails can support someone slipping on snow or ice!
Send me an email for more maintenance tips or handyman referrals in case you don't have the time to do this kind of stuff!